So apparently I’ve been ‘tagged,’ which means I’m supposed to take the following action:
Look at the following list and:
1) Bold what is true about you.
2) Italicize what you wish was true about you.
3) Add one true thing about you to the end of the list.
4) Tag five LJ friends.
I’ve heard about these meme things and have seen them hanging around the internet block. I don’t know who came up with them or why they exist or who named them ‘memes,’ but since I took the time to do the thing (it was no bother, really, I’m down with time-wasting these days) I figure that entitles me to put in my two bits about the phenomenon as a whole.
1. According to several sources, the word ‘meme’ rhymes with ‘gene.’ No it doesn’t. I’d like to think it rhymes with bee-bee or mimi, but I guess the inventor of the word didn’t want any long vowels in there. But she did put two m’s and no n’s in there, so it rhymes with ‘theme,’ not gene.
2. It seems to me the point of these things is for folks to learn interesting facts about one another and that’s fine. I’m down with friend-trivia (and, come to think of it, stranger-trivia, too). But come on, now. Is anyone really going to read this list and go ‘Oh. Kim doesn’t like olives? Huh. I better make a note of that.’ or will they ever say to me: ‘hey, I noticed you weren’t ovulating on September 15. What’s up with that?’ Doubtful.
3. The person completing the survey be charged to realize/reflect upon several (I didn’t count how many) facts about themself. That’s a good thing, too. But if we’re all going to do this kind of thing, why not make it challenging? Why olives? Why ovulation? Why vaginas and conferences and…?
So I guess what I’m saying is that these things are time wasters. And I’m intrigued (and, admittedly, frustrated) with this new phenomenon. I think I’m going to do some research on memes. And I’m going to talk about them and maybe even make meme my word of the day–everyday–so that people will know that they don’t, in fact, rhyme with gene.
So, without further adieu (or bitching), I present to you, a meme, by Kim:
* I miss somebody right now.
* I don’t watch much TV these days.
* I love olives.
* I own lots of books
* I wear glasses or contact lenses.
* I love to play video games.
* I’ve tried marijuana.
* I’ve watched porn movies.
* I have been in a threesome.
* I have been the psycho-ex in a past relationship.
* I believe honesty is usually always the best policy. (“Ususally always. Who wrote this?)
* I curse sometimes.
* I have changed a lot mentally over the last year. (Don’t most people?)
* I carry my knife/razor everywhere with me.
* I’m TOTALLY smart. (So smart, in fact, that I capitalize words I want to emphasize.)
* I have broken someone’s bones. (My cousin’s leg. It wasn’t my fault. She fell then said I pushed her.)
* I have a secret that I am ashamed to reveal. (Again–don’t we all?)
* I hate the rain.
* I’m paranoid at times.
* I would get plastic surgery if it were 100% safe, free of cost, and scar-free.
* I need/want money right now.
* I love sushi.
* I talk really, really fast.
* I have fresh breath in the morning.
* I have long hair.
* I have lost money in Las Vegas. (and other cities across the US)
* I have at least one sibling.
* I was born in a country outside of the U.S.
* I have worn fake hair/fingernails/eyelashes in the past.
* I couldn’t survive without Caller I.D.
* I like the way that I look.
* I have lied to a good friend in the last 6 months. (I don’t know what I said, or who I lied to, but I’m sure I did.)
* I know how to cornrow.
* I am usually pessimistic.
* I have a lot of mood swings.
* I think prostitution should be legalized.
* I think Britney Spears is pretty.
* I slept with a roommate.
* I have a hidden talent.
* I’m always hyper no matter how much sugar I have.
* I have a lot of friends.
* I am currently single.
* I have pecked someone of the same sex.
* I enjoy talking on the phone.
* I practically live in sweatpants or PJ pants.
* I love to shop.
* I enjoy window shopping.
* I would rather shop than eat.
* I would classify myself as ghetto.
* I’m bourgoisie and have worn a sweater tied around my shoulders.
* I’m obsessed with my Xanga or Livejournal.
* I don’t hate anyone. I dislike them.
* I’m a pretty good dancer.
* I’m completely embarrassed to be seen with my mother.
* I have a cell phone. (But not a cell phone account.)
* I believe in god.
* I have passed out drunk in the past 6 months.
* I’ve rejected someone before.
* I currently like someone.
* I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life.
* I want to have children in the future.
* I have changed a diaper before.
* I’ve called the cops on a friend before.
* I am a member of the Tom Green fan club.
* I’m not allergic to anything.
* I have a lot to learn.
* I have been with someone at least 10 years older or younger.
* I am shy around the opposite sex.
* I’m online 24/7, even as an away message.
* I have at least 5 away messages saved.
* I have tried alcohol or drugs before.
* I have made a move on a friend’s significant other or crush in the past.
* I own the “South Park” movie.
* I have avoided assignments at work/school to be on Xanga or Livejournal.
* When I was a kid I played “the birds and the bees” with a neighbor or chum.
* I enjoy some country music.
* I would die for my best friends.
* I think that Pizza Hut has the best pizza.
* I watch soap operas whenever I can.
* I’m obsessive, and often a perfectionist.
* I have used my sexuality to advance my career.
* I love Michael Jackson, scandals and all.
* I know all the words to Slick Rick’s “Children’s Story”.
* Halloween is awesome because you get free candy.
* I watch Spongebob Squarepants and I like it.
* I have dated a close friend’s ex.
* I like surveys/memes.
* I am happy at this moment.
* I’m obsessed with guys.
* Conservative Republican.
* I am punk rockish.
* I am preppy.
* I go for older guys/girls, not younger.
* I study for tests most of the time.
* I tie my shoelaces differently from anyone I’ve ever met.
* I can work on a car.
* I love my job.
* I am comfortable with who I am right now.
* I have more than just my ears pierced.
* I walk barefoot wherever I can.
* I have jumped off a bridge.
* I love sea turtles.
* I spend ridiculous amounts of money on makeup.
* I believe in prophetic dreams.
* I plan on achieving a major goal/dream.
* I am proficient on a musical instrument.
* I worked at McDonald’s restaurant.
* I hate office jobs.
* I love sci-fi movies.
* I think water rules.
* I went to college out of state. (and then ended up staying in that state).
* I am adopted.
* I like sausage.
* I am a pyro.
* I love the Red Sox.
* I have thrown up from crying too much.
* I have been intentionally hurt by people that I loved.
* I love kisses.
* I fall for the worst people and have been hurt every time.
* I adore bright colors.
* I love Dear Abby.
* I can’t live without black eyeliner.
* I think school is awesome.
* I think pigtails serve a purpose.
* I don’t know why the hell I just did this stupid thing.
* I usually like covers better than originals.
* I don’t like multi-textured ice cream.
* I think John Cusack is adorable.
* I fucking hate chain theme restaurants like Applebees and TGIFridays.
* I watch Food Network way too much.
* I love coaching youth sports.
* I can pick up things with my toes.
* I can’t whistle.
* I can move my tongue in waves, much like a snakes’ slither.
* I have ridden/owned a horse.
* I still have every journal I’ve ever written in.
* I can’t stick to a diet.
* I talk in my sleep.
* I’ve often thought that I was born in the wrong century.
* I try to forget things by drowning them out with loads of distractions.
* Climbing trees is a brilliant past-time.
* I have jazz in my blood.
* I would not be friends if they weren’t family.
* I wear a toe ring.
* I have a tattoo.
* I love vaginas. (What does this even mean? I own one and it serves me just fine. But should I love it? Should I love others’? Who wrote this?)
* I can’t stand at LEAST one person that I work with.
* I am a caffeine junkie.
* I know who Santos L. Halper is.
* I read trashy romance novels and I am ashamed.
* I love wrestling.
* I am completely tree-huggy spiritual, and I’m not ashamed at all.
* If I knew I would get away with it, I would commit at least one murder.
* I cosplayed or know what cosplaying is.
* I have been to over 15 conventions.
* I will collect anything, and the more nonsensical, the better.
* I enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner.
* I’m an artist.
* I have a goal to collect every Johnny Depp movie ever made.
* I am ambidexterous.
* I sleep with so many stuffed animals, I can hardly fit on my bed.
* My computer has a name.
* If it weren’t for having to see other people naked, I’d live in a nudist colony.
* I have terrible teeth.
* I hate my toes.
* I did this Meme even though I wasn’t tagged by the person who took it before me.
* I have more friends on the internet than in real life.
* I have lived in either three different states or countries.
* I am extremely flexible.
* I love hugs more than kisses.
* I want to own my own business.
* I smoke or have tried cigarettes.
* I have met a star from ABC’s LOST.
* I spend way too much time on the computer than on anything else.
* Nobody has ever said I’m normal.
* Sad movies, games, fics and the like can cause a trickle of tear every now and then.
* I am proficient in the use of many types firearms and combat weapons.
* I like the way women look in stylized men’s suits.
* I don’t like it when people are unpleased or seem unpleased with me.
* I have been described as a dreamer or likely to have my head up in the clouds.
* I have played tennis with my non dominant hand before.
* I have played strip poker with someone else before.
* I read the labels on food, shampoo, and other things just because.
* I have emotional problems for which I have sought professional help.
* I believe in ghosts and the paranormal.
* I can’t stand being alone.
* I have at least one obsession at any given time.
* I weigh myself, pee/poo, and then weigh myself again.
* I consistently spend way too much money on obsessions-of-the-moment.
* I know what THAC0 means.
* I have a signed Tom Servo head.
* I’m a judgmental asshole.
* I’m a HUGE drama-queen.
* I was a Spice Girls fan and I’m proud of it.
* I have traveled on more than one continent.
* I sometimes wish my father would just disappear.
* I have seen every single episode of more than one television show.
* I need people to tell me I’m good at something in order to feel that I am.
* I am a Libertarian.
* I can sing songs in languages I don’t speak.
* I could speak more than one language.
* I can fall asleep even if the whole room is as noisy as it can be.
* I am ovulating.
* I am very confused.
* I believe that everything ends.
* I like happy endings.
* I ask too many questions.
* I am a closet philanthropist.
* I can recite all 50 states in alphabetical order, from memory.
* I would rather read than watch TV.
* I like reading fact more than fiction.
* I have pulled an all-nighter on an assignment I was given a month to do.
* I have at one time considered becoming an assassin using only a knife and a pack of gum.
* My parents never gave me a set allowance.
* I have no piercings.
* I have spent the night in a train station or other public place.
* I have been so upset over my physical gender that I cried.
* I have more pets than I have good friends.
*I occasionally suffer from brainburn.
* I think memes are stupid yet don’t mind that I’ve wasted my time doing this one.